In one of the showcases medieval coins from Knjaževac area are presented and they are a part of the collection given to the Museum by Ljubiša Rajković Koželjac. Here, the material from the Church of Holy Mother of God from Donja Kamenica is presented: silver gilded diadem, crosses, bone beads (from XIV-XV century) and graffiti ceramic plates, rings from XIII-XIV century.
Donja Kamenica, The Church of the Blessed Virgin
The Church of the Blessed Virgin in Donja Kamenica is located on an elevation along the left bank of the Trgoviski Timok 15 km southeast of Knjazevac. It was built in XIV century. The founder of the church is not known. The church was probably dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.
The church is laid out in the form of a cross with cupola. Inside the church is central square with three side apses and secound floor. In front of the entrance and the west facade, the church had two – storied porch. The church was made of stone, mortar and bricks. The church was decorated and its frescos are of great artistic importance.
The archaeological excavations documented the existence of the cemetary (XIV – XVII centuries) on the church grounds, where some 75 graves were excavated. The special artifact assemblage from burial is a diadem formed from rectangular gold plates with hammered decoration.
Gornja Kamenica, The Church of the Holy Trinity
The Church of the Holy Trinity, 18 km southeast of Knjazevac, is located in the valley of the Trgoviski Timok between Donja and Gornja Kamenica.
The church has a tri – conch plan with small pendentive domes above the central area. An additional narthex (exonarthex) was later constructed in 1874.
The interior of the church was decorated in frescos which have been almost totally destroyed. Only fresco fragments survive which were part of the restoration executed in the first half of the nineteenth century.
The founder of the church, the Serbian despot Lazar (the youngest son of Djurdje Brankovic), is attested in an inscription (1454) in mortar from the church.
The archaeological excavations documented the existence of the cemetary around the church.